Etiquette is the code of correct behavior everyone in society abides by. Today we shall learn some simple rules of etiquette used in day to day life.
- Always remember to show respect and kindness to everyone around you.
- Use please, thank you, and excuse me every day.
- Hold your silverware correctly, fork in the left hand and knife in the right.
- Always chew with your mouth closed.
- Learn to give a compliment to someone else.
- You must always help someone in need, particularly if they are less able than you are.
- Learn to introduce yourself and others properly. Never say, “My names are..”, but “My name is… “
- Do not call an adult by their first name unless the adult instructs you to do so. Always respectfully add Mr, Mrs, Sir, Ma.
- Always knock on a door before opening it.
- Answer the phone politely.
- Don’t point or stare, it’s rude
- Always cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing.
This is by no means an exhaustive list. I believe that the most important thing is that you respect everyone around you. A popular saying goes thus ‘Respect is reciprocal’ meaning if you give it out, it will be given to you. When you act with courtesy to people around you, they tend to return the same courtesy unconsciously. It never hurts to have good manners and I hope you practice these everywhere you go.